Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Green Recruiting

So people that have worked alongside me *know* that I'm all about having as paperless of an office as possible. I never print resumes, unless I have to take one into a face-to-face interview with a candidate, and I usually police the printer to enforce this practice with my colleagues, too! (Just kidding... sort of.) Seriously, it is unnecessary to print out all the resumes of candidates for our reqs - that is so wasteful. And when colleagues give me documents, or candidates fax (Stone Ages, hello!) resumes to me, I freeze... I *know* what to do with electronic documents - but I have absolutely NO idea what to do with hard copies! Technically I do, but I'm stubborn about wanting a paperless office, so I just refuse to create a paper storage system in my cube.

As the daughter of a chemical engineer in the pulp and paper industry, who financed my childhood and most of college, I should probably keep my mouth shut about conserving paper products... however, my concern for the earth's resources, including TREES, beautiful trees!, comes first.

One trend I happened to notice at a couple of the job fairs I have attended lately and really like, is that candidates brought me resumes that were double-side printed. How great is that? First of all, it tickled my green bone, and second, the practice stood out to me as pretty progressive thinking. Hopefully in about a year or so, this is old news, but for now, I'm singing the praises of this practice, and asking all of those candidates out there to please consider this practice when printing your resumes for job fairs. Better yet - how about double-side printing on recycled paper... Now that's an idea!

And for the love of trees, recruiter friends, please stop printing resumes. I promise if you give it a shot, you'll get used to reading them on the screen.... Please consider it?

Miss Recruiter, aka Tree Hugger

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Meredith,

We have a lot in common. I am a bit of a tree hugger myself, a recruiter and a mom of two young kids. I have been using onenote on and off (never successfully) to help me with open reqs, candidate resume, notes, interviews...ect. I keep coming back to it, because I know it could make my life easier, but have not really had the time to implement it in a way that would be efficient for me. Would you mind sharing with me some of your ideas on how you use Onenote successfully for your recruiting job? Please feel free to send me an email at lily.leung@provenmethod.com